Saturday, May 16, 2009

Daily Visitor





This Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpus carolinus) spends hours in my backyard eating suet and sunflower seeds. One day a squirrel thought he was going to challenge this woodpecker for the sunflower seeds only to receive a "peck" right between the eyes. I never laughed so hard at wildlife in my life. The squirrel was shocked. Talk about entertainment. These woodpeckers are common and are year round residents of the SE United States. They are equipped to catch insects. Their barbed tongues can stick out 2" beyond their beaks and their saliva is very sticky (note the food stuck to his beak in pic above). These guys can live up to 10 years, so I look forward to many more antics from this fellow who holds the record for the most entertaining birds in my backyard.



No comments:

Post a Comment